Original Shipyard Plans
Price: As Marked Plus Shipping
I spent two full days at a very musty, humid paper trader's yard in August of 2005 sorting through mountains of paperwork to secure these one-of-a-kind original builder's plans from the RMS WINDSOR CASTLE. If I had not "rescued" these, they would have been sold to the local pulp processing plant and converted into newsprint stock. I bought nearly a ton of plans and paperwork from the ship, which was a virtual floating museum.
Unfortunately, seeing that a "westerner" wanted the plans, the trader upped the price by a thousand percent, making this an extraordinarily costly investment.
I have saved one copy of each of the original plans for my archives in the hope that one day they will be preserved for future historians. In the meantime, the copies of all my spares will be added to this site and sold to recoup the huge expenses incurred. These are fascinating, detailed plans that give insight to just how complex the process of building and engineering a great Union Caste Liner was. In the pre-computer era, these were rendered by hand with remarkable skill and precision. They were on the ship throughout her career, only to be removed once she reached Alang on that sad day in 2005.
I will try my best to note the condition of each plan. Please understand these were in use for over three decades and sat for another decade. Some are torn, some are stained, some have small missing bits and all smell like the engine room of a 1960-built British ocean liner!
These plans are arranged in order under the "S" category. Most sets appear to be GA plans similar to the "circle" plans listed on another page. Indeed, some are probably duplicates but since these are all labeled with "S", I am keeping them together to avoid confusion (on my part). All or most are stamped and dated by Cammell Laird, the Birkenhead shipyard that built the RMS WINDSOR CASTLE.
S38 -- Sewage and Overboard Drainage General Arrangement Plans" (A Deck)
- S38 -- Sewage and Overboard Drainage General Arrangement Plans" (A Deck). Price: $7.50
S83 -- 88 -- "Valve Gearing Arrangement to Shipbuilder Valves
- S83 -- 88 -- "Valve Gearing Arrangement to Shipbuilder Valves" GA Plans for C Deck, Orlop Deck, Lower Orlop Deck, Tank Top. Excellent condition. Missing S89, S85, S84 and S82. Price for four from set of 8 plans: $25.00SET #3: SS IVORY Life Saving Appliances. This is an incomplete set of two highly detailed plans (profile drawing 1 and lower deck drawing 4) from the ship's IVORY era from Avgoulis Marine Technical Services dated 2001. Missing drawings 2 and 3. Excellent condition. Price: $25.00
S92 -- 94 -- "Weather Deck Scupper Arrangement" GA Plans
- S92 -- 94 -- "Weather Deck Scupper Arrangement" GA Plans. Excellent condition, except S93, which is a little battered but still has plan details intact. Missing S91. Price for three from set of 4 plans: $17.50
S92"Weather Deck Scupper Arrangement" GA Plan.
- S92"Weather Deck Scupper Arrangement" GA Plan. Excellent condition. Price for one from set of 4 plans: $7.50SET #20: SS AUSONIA Antinciendo (fire) Plans. This is a set of four highly detailed plans from the ship's pre-conversion era from Genoa-based Officini Alletestimento Riparazioni Navi (OARN). Covers Decks Sole, A, B, C, D, E, ,F, and G. All in excellent condition. Price: $75.00
S145 -- 261 -- "Greer Hatches" Plans -- assortment of 28 plans.
- S145 --261 -- "Greer Hatches" Plans (S145 -- Emergency Opening #1 Hatch for Orlop, E and D Decks; S146 -- Emergency Opening #1 Hatch Details; S147 -- Emergency Opening of 1,2,and 3 on B Deck and 3 and 3 on A Deck; S148 -- Emergency Opening #2 Hatch Lower Orlop, Orlop, and E Deck; S149 -- Emergency Opening Of Greer Hatches for #2 Hatch Details; S150 -- #3 Hatch for Lower Orlop, Orlop and E Deck; S151 -- #3 Hatch Details for Lower Orlop, Orlop and E Deck; S152 -- #s4 and 5 for Orlop and E Decks; S154 for #6 Hatch Lower Orlop, Orlop, E and D Decks; S156 #7 Hatch for Lower Orlop, Orlop and E Decks; S157 -- Emergency Opening of #7 Details; S158 -- #8 Hatch for E and Orlop Decks; S159 -- #8 Hatch Details for E and Orlop Decks; S160 -- Emergency Opening of #s 7 and 8 on A Deck; S161 -- Emergency Opening of 4&5 on Promenade Deck and 5&6 on A Deck; S216 -- Location of Hatch Signalman's Lookout on 1st Class Games Deck; S242 -- Proposed New Saveall 9 Drains Below Hatch Cover #6 Hatch; S243 -- #8 hatch Cover; S251 -- Fitting Particulars for Hatch #4 from A to E Decks; S252 -- Fitting Particulars For Hatch #5 on E Deck; S253 -- Fitting Particulars for Hatch #6 on E Deck; S254 -- Fitting Particulars for Hatch #7 on E Deck; S255 -- Fitting Particulars for Hatch #3 on E Deck; S256 -- Fitting Particulars for Hatch #4 on Promenade Deck; S257 -- E Deck Plating Frames; S259 -- Deck Plating Frames 60-71; S261 -- E Deck Plating for frames 185-196. Price for entire assortment of 28 plans: $50.00
S291 -- 296a -- "Wine Tank" Plans.
- S291 -- 296a -- "Wine Tank" Plans. Another unusual set of plans detailing RMS WINDSOR CASTLE's wine tanks, their support, fans, venting, etc. Price for five: $15.00
S300 -- "Proposed Arrangement For Carriage Of Wool Cargo" Plans.
- S300 -- Proposed Arrangement For Carriage Of Wool Cargo" Plans. Three copies of plan number 300. Price per plan: $5.00